The Society for Italian Studies supports research across the discipline by holding three conferences: the Biennial Conference; the Themed Conference (previously known as the Interim), and the Postgraduate Colloquium. The Society also supports research by providing some funding to conferences and symposia run by SIS members.
BIENNIAL CONFERENCE – A residential conference is held every two years. The next conference will be held at the University of Hull, on 27th-30th June 2017 .
The conference will be held at the University of Hull main campus. A range of types (and prices) of accommodation will be available. Further details of accommodation, registration etc., are available here.
To register for the conference please fill in the Registration form and return it to email@example.com. Information about the costs of accommodation, registration and evening meals is included in the form;
Payment of the conference fee can be made online at this link.
DEADLINE FOR REGISTRATION (RETURN OF BOOKING FORM AND COMPLETION OF PAYMENT ONLINE):
JUNE 16th 2017
(PLEASE NOTE: In case of problems registering/paying on the website:
- be aware that the option of ‘regular payment’ (direct debit) is only available if you have a UK bank account.
- ensure that you input the address to which the card is registered in the payment section (do not use a generic college address which isn’t recognised by the bank).
- try using a different browser or try again later. There can be glitches with the security settings on the browser you are using, or temporary issues with the system.)
In addition to plenary sessions and invited speakers, the conference programme includes various events that are linked to the UK City of Culture programme of activities for Hull, taking place throughout 2017.
For general information about the University of Hull, please visit: www.hull.ac.uk
For information about Hull City of Culture 2017 events, please visit: https://www.hull2017.co.uk/
For queries , please contact the organisers, Dr. Laura Rorato and/or Dr. Rachel Haworth, at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The 2015 Conference was hosted by the University of Oxford from 28 to 30 September 2015. The programme is available for download in PDF format.
- The 2013 Conference was hosted by Durham University from 8 to 11 July 2013. The programme is available for download in PDF format.
- The 2011 Conference was hosted by St Andrews University from 6 to 9 July 2011. The programme is available for download in PDF format.
- The 2009 Conference was hosted by Royal Holloway University of London, from 16 to 19 April.
THEMED CONFERENCE (previously known as the Interim Conference)
The Society holds a smaller, themed conference on alternate years to the Biennial Conference. The next SIS Themed Conference will be held from 5th to 6th April, 2018 at the University of Sussex. The theme is for the 2018 Conference is Resistance in Italian culture: Literature, Politics and Film. The Conference organisers are Dr Ambra Moroncini (University of Sussex), who is the lead contact, Dr Darrow Schecter (University of Sussex) and Prof Fabio Vighi (University of Cardiff). A Call for Panels will be circulated via the Italian Studies mailing list and here in early autumn 2017.
PREVIOUS THEMED CONFERENCES
- The 2016 Themed Conference, Turning Points: Cultures of Transition, Transformation and Transmission , was held at Trinity College, Dublin, 29th and 30th April 2016. The programme is available for download in PDF format
- The 2014 Themed Conference, Interstitial Italy: Reassessing Global Questions Through the ‘Peculiar’ Italian Case, was held at the British School at Rome, 27 and 28 March 2014. The programme is available for download in PDF format.
- The 2012 Themed Conference, Transnational Italy: National Identity and the World Atlas, was held at the University of Reading’, 13 and 14 July 2012. The programme and abstracts are available for download in PDF format.
- The 2010 Themed Conference, Religion, Mysticism and Heresy in Italian Culture, was held at the Palazzo Pesaro Papafava, Venice, 16-17 April 2010. The programme is available for download in PDF format.
- The 2008 Themed Conference, Transmissions and Transformations of Italian Culture, took place at the Institute for Germanic and Romance Studies, University of London, on 25-26 April 2008. The programme and abstracts are available for download in PDF format.
HOSTING THE SIS THEMED CONFERENCES
The form for the registering of interest in holding the Themed Conference is available on the SIS website at: http://italianstudies.org.uk/forms-and-logo/ (‘conference host application form’). Please complete the form as fully as possible, bearing in mind that not all questions will be relevant to the Themed Conference (the form covers both this and the Biennial) and return to Gigliola Sulis, as Hon. Secretary at email@example.com. The deadline for applications is normally 15th August. A final decision will be made at our next Executive Committee meeting in September and an announcement will be made by the end of the month.
The Society holds an annual Postgraduate Colloquium. See this page for further details.