Biennial Conference. A residential conference is held every two years. The next conference will be held at the University of Hull, on 27th-30th June 2017 .
Call for panel proposals
Proposals are now invited for panel sessions for the Biennial Conference of the Society for Italian Studies to be held at the University of Hull from June 27-30, 2017.
Panels should be timed to last for 90 minutes and should normally be composed of not more than 3 participants/papers, allowing 20 minutes per speaker and 10 minutes of discussion per paper.
Proposals for panel sessions should include:
- title of the session
- brief description of the focus and aims of the session (c.100 words)
- name and contact details for each speaker
- titles of individual contributions to the panel with accompanying abstracts (c.250-300 words)
- name and contact details of the panel chair (if not one of the speakers)
The deadline for the submission of proposals is: November 30th 2016. Please submit proposals in the format of a word document attachment, e-mailed to: email@example.com
PLEASE NOTE: Proposed speakers must be members of the Society for Italian Studies. For information on membership and how to join the Society if you are not a member, please see the Society’s website at: www.sis.ac.uk
The conference will be held at the University of Hull main campus. A range of types (and prices) of accommodation will be available. Further details of accommodation, registration etc., will be made available in due course.
In addition to plenary sessions and invited speakers, the conference programme will also include various events that are linked to the UK City of Culture programme of activities for Hull, taking place throughout 2017.
For general information about the University of Hull, please visit: www.hull.ac.uk
For information about Hull City of Culture 2017 events, please visit: https://www.hull2017.co.uk/
For queries , please contact the organisers, Dr. Laura Rorato and/or Dr. Rachel Haworth, at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The 2015 Conference was hosted by the University of Oxford from 28 to 30 September 2015. The programme is available for download in PDF format.
- The 2013 Conference was hosted by Durham University from 8 to 11 July 2013. The programme is available for download in PDF format.
- The 2011 Conference was hosted by St Andrews University from 6 to 9 July 2011. The programme is available for download in PDF format.
- The 2009 Conference was hosted by Royal Holloway University of London, from 16 to 19 April.
The Society holds a smaller, themed conference on alternate years to the Biennial Conference.
SIS Interim Conference
The next SIS Interim Conference will take place in 2018, and we are now inviting applications from institutions wishing to hold it. The Interim Conference is not usually residential and is usually themed (unlike the ‘Work in Progress’ Biennial conference). Traditionally, the Interim Conference has been held in the Spring.
The form for the registering of interest in holding the Interim Conference is available on the SIS website at: http://italianstudies.org.uk/forms-and-logo/ (‘conference host application form’). Please complete the form as fully as possible, bearing in mind that not all questions will be relevant to the Interim Conference (the form covers both this and the Biennial) and return to Gigliola Sulis, as Hon. Secretary at email@example.com. The deadline for applications is Monday 15th August. A final decision will be made at our next Executive Committee meeting in September and an announcement will be made by the end of the month.
PREVIOUS INTERIM CONFERENCES
- The 2016 Interim Conference, Turning Points: Cultures of Transition, Transformation and Transmission , was held at Trinity College, Dublin, 29th and 30th April 2016. The programme is available for download in PDF format
- The 2014 Interim Conference, Interstitial Italy: Reassessing Global Questions Through the ‘Peculiar’ Italian Case, was held at the British School at Rome, 27 and 28 March 2014. The programme is available for download in PDF format.
- The 2012 Interim Conference, Transnational Italy: National Identity and the World Atlas, was held at the University of Reading’, 13 and 14 July 2012. The programme and abstracts are available for download in PDF format.
- The 2010 Interim Conference, Religion, Mysticism and Heresy in Italian Culture, was held at the Palazzo Pesaro Papafava, Venice, 16-17 April 2010. The programme is available for download in PDF format.
- The 2008 Interim Conference, Transmissions and Transformations of Italian Culture, took place at the Institute for Germanic and Romance Studies, University of London, on 25-26 April 2008. The programme and abstracts are available for download in PDF format.
The Society holds an annual Postgraduate Colloquium. See this page for further details.